A device group is a system in Atmosphere that associates devices to a contained structure (“group”). Device groups enable you to organize devices into a unique structure while allowing you to control access to them through specifying user roles and permissions.
Device groups and their related features are currently available for the Atmosphere IoT Central product only.
Device groups are located in a section labeled “Device Groups” from the platform’s Devices area. Devices that aren’t associated with a group are displayed in a section labeled “Unassigned Devices.” When a device is first registered to Atmosphere, it’s placed into the Unassigned Devices section by default.
If a device within a group acquires a status, the group inherits that device’s status and represents it in the same manner that is shown for the device entry. If multiple devices in the group have a status, the highest priority state is displayed.
Creating a Device Group
Creating a new device group adds it to the Device Groups section in the Devices area. Any number of groups can be created, as can any number of sub-groups.
To create a device group:
- Navigate to the Devices area, and click the button in the top-right of the screen to display the Create New Group window.
- Provide the group a name, and (optional) enter a description.
- When finished click Save. The new device group is added to Atmosphere and displayed on the page.
If a sub-group is created within a parent device group, the new sub-group is displayed within its parent group’s Devices tab.
Selecting a device group brings you to that group’s console. Group consoles are arranged in a layout similar to device consoles, and are divided into the following sections:
|Group Dashboard||Personalized dashboard to display data and information for devices assigned to the group. Only devices assigned to the group are available to be used within this dashboard’s widgets.|
|Info||Update the group’s information or image.|
|Devices||View the list of devices assigned to the group. This section also displays any sub-groups.|
|Members||View the list of members with access to the group.|
Like device consoles, device groups also contain a global set of options located in the top-right of the screen that are available from any section. These include buttons for assigning a device to the group, assigning a user to a group, creating a sub-group, and deleting the group.
Access to both the device group's global options and each of its sections are based on a member's permissions within a device group, set by a group administrator. Depending on the permissions of the member, they may or may not have access to any number of these options or sections. These permissions likewise may cascade to any devices within the group.
Assigning a device to a group places it into the group and removes it from the Unassigned Devices section. A device can be assigned to any number of groups. Once assigned to a group, a device is only accessible to users who are members of that group.
In the event a device is assigned to a group but is configured to a widget in a user's Dashboard area, the widget will no longer send data for that device on that user's dashboard if they aren't a member of that group. Users who are members of that group and have access to that device would otherwise remain unaffected.
To assign a device:
- From the device group console you want the device assigned to, click the button in the top-right of the screen to display the Assign Device to Group window.
- The list of devices you have access to is listed. Select the device you want assigned.
- Select the role you want to apply to the device within the group. The role determines the permissions non-admin users within the group have against that device.
- When finished click Assign. The device is added to the device group and displayed in the group’s Devices section.
Unassigning a device removes it from the device group (as well as any parent groups) and returns it to the Unassigned Devices section.
To unassign a device:
- From the device group’s Devices section, select the device you want to unassign by clicking on its checkbox.
- Click the button above the table to display the action menu, then choose Remove. You’ll be prompted to confirm you want to remove the selected device from the group. Click Remove to confirm. The device is then removed from the group.
When the device returns to the Unassigned Devices section, any user within the account then has access to view or possibly modify it. Keep this in mind if you wish to limit access to certain devices.
Assigning a user to a group makes them a member of that group and gives them access to its devices. A user can be a member of any number of groups.
To assign a user:
- From the device group console you want the user assigned to, click the button in the top-right of the screen to display the Assign User to Group window.
- Select the user you want assigned.
- When finished click Assign. The user is added to the device group and displayed in the group’s Members section.
Removing Group Members
Removing a member from a device group removes that user’s access from the group’s devices and sub-groups. If a user is removed from a sub-group but doesn’t belong to any other sub-groups within the same parent group, they are removed from the parent group entirely. If a user is removed from a sub-group and belongs to other sub-group(s) within the same parent group, they still maintain membership to the other sub-group(s).
To remove a group member:
- From the device group’s Members section, select the user you want to remove by clicking on their checkbox.
- Click the button above the table to display the action menu, then choose Remove. You’ll be prompted to confirm you want to remove the selected user from the group. Click Remove to confirm. The user is then removed from the group.
Deleting a Device Group
Deleting a device group removes it from Atmosphere, and unassigns any devices and users associated with that group. Deleting a device group doesn’t delete the devices or users themselves. If a sub-group is deleted, any devices within that sub-group are unassigned and removed from all parent groups as well, and any members of that sub-group are also removed.
To delete a device group:
- On the device group’s console, click the button in the top-right.
- You’ll be prompted to confirm you want to delete the selected device group. Click Delete to confirm.
The device group is then deleted from Atmosphere.